A $10,000 First Home Owner Grant (FHOG) is available when you buy or build your first new home.

The FHOG is $20,000 for new homes built in regional Victoria, for contracts signed from 1 July 2017 to 30 June 2021. (Read information about FHOG amounts available before 1 July 2013.)

Your first home can be a house, townhouse, apartment, unit or similar but it must be valued at $750,000 or less, be the first sale of the property as residential premises and the home must be less than five years old.

It cannot be an investment property or a holiday house.

​The FHOG may be paid in addition to other exemptions or concessions for eligible homebuyers, including pensioners.

The timing of your FHOG payment depends on the contract you sign to buy or build your new home, and whether you lodge your application directly with us or via an approved agent.

Will I be eligible for the First Home Owner Grant?

What you need to know first

  1. In the majority of cases, the bank or credit union that is providing your finance (see the list of approved agents) will lodge the FHOG application form on your behalf. Make sure you check with them that they are lodging it for you. If you require the grant for settlement or first draw down/progress payment, you must lodge your application with an approved agent. Go to step 2.
  2. Only lodge your application with us if an approved agent is not lodging the FHOG application form on your behalf. You must send us the original application form, which you download, print and complete in blue or black ink, together with copies of your supporting documents. Applications cannot be lodged with us until after the completion of the eligible transaction.

Check your eligibility

  1. Your answers to seven checklist questions on the Application for First Home Owner Grant (FHOG-Form-02) determines your eligibility to receive the grant. You can also use our online tool to assess your eligibility.

    You are not entitled to the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner have previously:

    • Received a first-home owner grant in Australia.
    • Owned a home or other residential property in Australia, either jointly or separately, before
      1 July 2000.
    • Occupied, for a continuous period of at least six months, a home which either of you owned or part-owned on or after 1 July 2000 in Australia.

    You may still be eligible for the FHOG if you or your spouse/partner purchased a property on or after 1 July 2000 and have not lived there as your home.

    Additionally, to receive the FHOG at least one applicant must:

    • Must occupy the home as their principal place of reside (PPR) for at least 12 months, commencing within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction.
    • Be aged 18 or over (discretionary).
    • Be an Australian citizen or permanent resident:
      • In the case of the purchase of a new home – as at the date on which the applicant/s become entitled to possession of the home under the contract, which generally occurs on the date of settlement.
      • In the case of entering into a comprehensive building contract – as at the date on which the building is ready for occupation as a place of residence, which generally occurs when construction of the home is finished.

    New Zealanders holding a special category visa under s32 of the Migration Act 1958 and anyone holding a permanent visa under s30(1) are considered permanent residents for these purposes.

    New Zealand citizens must be living in Australia when the eligible transaction is completed.

    Full FHOG eligibility criteria are outlined in the lodgement guide.

    Penalties and interest will apply if you receive the FHOG and are not entitled to it.

  2. Gather supporting evidence

    If you are lodging with an approved agent, each applicant and their spouse/partner must provide a copy (not the original) of a current primary identity document and evidence of citizenship or permanent residency (a Category 1 document).

    If you are lodging directly with us, each applicant and their spouse/partner must provide a copy (not the original) of a current document from each of the four categories (i.e. four documents per person). A single document cannot be used for more than one category.

    Category 1

    A copy of a current primary identity document and evidence of citizenship or permanent residency (provide one document).

    If you are an Australian citizen:

    • Australian birth certificate issued by the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages,
    • Australian passport, or
    • citizenship certificate.

    If you are a citizen of another country:

    • passport, and
    • evidence of permanent residency or permanent residence visa.

    A New Zealand citizen:

    • current passport.

    Category 2

    Evidence (photo and signature) of link between identity and person (provide one document).

    A copy of current:

    • Australian driver licence,
    • passport,
    • firearm licence, or
    • proof of Age photo ID card.

    Category 3

    Evidence that each applicant and their spouse/partner reside in Australia (provide one document).

    A copy of current:

    • Medicare card,
    • motor vehicle registration, or
    • Centrelink or Department of Veterans’ Affairs card.

    Category 4

    Evidence of each applicant and their spouse/partner’s current residential address (provide one document).

    A copy of:

    • utility documents (e.g. bills for electricity, gas, water),
    • building or contents insurance policy,
    • rate notice,
    • mortgage papers for the property for which you are claiming the FHOG,
    • electoral enrolment card,
    • lease or tenancy agreement,
    • work notice/reports/reference, or
    • taxation assessment notice.

    Additional supporting evidence

    Additional supporting evidence is required if any of the following applies to you:

    • Married – a copy of your marriage certificate.
    • Divorced – a copy of your divorce certificate.
    • Widowed – a copy of the death certificate of your spouse/partner.
    • Separated – a statutory declaration with the following information:
      • the name of your former spouse/partner,
      • former spouse/partner’s date of birth,
      • the date you were married or started your domestic relationship,
      • the date you separated or your former spouse/partner’s current address (if known),
      • a statement to the effect that you do not live together and have no intention of resuming living together.

    Evidence of change of name is required if the name on any of the documents presented is different to the name of the applicant (e.g. change of name certificate, statutory declaration).

  3. Complete the application

    If you are lodging with an approved agent, you do not need to complete the application on this page.

    If you are lodging directly with us, each applicant should read our lodgement guide and application form before completing and submitting their application.

    The Application for First Home Owner Grant (FHOG-Form-02) must be printed and then completed, using blue or black pen. It must be signed before it is lodged.


  4. Lodge the application

    If you are applying for the FHOG through an approved agent, they will lodge the application form on your behalf after you have signed it and had it witnessed.

    If you are applying for the FHOG through us, your application and all supporting documents can be mailed to:

    State Revenue Office
    GPO Box 1641
    VIC 3001


    State Revenue Office
    DX 260090

    You must lodge your application within 12 months of settlement or completion of construction of your home.

    Important notes

    The date the grant is paid depends on whether you are building or buying. It also depends on whether you are applying directly to us or through an approved agent.

    If you are unable to meet your 12 month residency requirement because of a change in circumstances, you must notify us in writing within 14 days of the change.

    If you believe you are eligible for the FHOG and we determine you are ineligible, you can contact us and seek a review of your application.